Resor, Independence II, Aug 6, 2006

August 6 dive to the Resor


Paul’s shot of the Deck Gun on the Resor

Sunday 8/6 Trip on the Independence II to the Resor. The surface temp was 70+ while the bottom was 47. Highlights include: 40-50 ft of visibility, 30 some big lobster, scallops, enormous Tautog, and a great wreck for us sightseers.

We jumped aboard the Divers Den North charter on the Independence II. Our destination was the Resor. All of my previous attempts to dive the Resor had been blown out, so I was very happy with the marine forecast for the weekend. Given the distance offshore, we gathered early at the dock. The trip out was in 2-3 ft of long period chop, which died down as the day wore on. The sky was clear with a slight east breeze that cooled us off. We could not have asked for a nicer day.

Captain Dan lined us up on the stern section of the wreck. Paul jumped in and had us tied in 5 minutes or less. Most of the group jumped in looking for lobsters and scallops. This was my first time here, so when I hit the wreck with 50 ft of vis, I just took the 50 cent tour. The tie-in was at 80 ft, and the bottom at 120-130. There was a very mild current. With this vis, you could see the bottom from the tie in. It took all of the first dive to circle the stern. It was a leisurely swim around the structure hovering about 20 ft off the bottom. I could see divers below hunting for bugs. Paul was nice enough to tied off the far end of his reel by the deck gun, leaving his reel there to aid the sightseers. After passing that, I was looking into each hole we passed. Lots of fish were hiding inside the wreck, as well as swimming on the down current side. The wreck is covered with flowing anemones. In the mild current they were all out swaying in to and fro. Just an incredibly picturesque dive!

There was a bit of a current between 50ft and 20ft as we came up the line. Nothing unmanageable, but it left me wishing I had brought a John-line. When I got back on board, I was amazed to see the number and size of the lobsters that came up, but no scallops on this dive. The other divers were banding their catch and covered the bottom of the big cooler. Bullet shell casings were apparently found on the bottom by many of the divers. Paul explained the structure of the wreck, and how to get to the bow section by passing over the debris field. After a good surface interval of swapping stories, it was time to see the rest of the wreck.

I tied a reel by the line, and headed out over the debris field. Hovering above the wreck gave a great panoramic view. The debris was scattered with large open scallop shells and clam shells were also common. Ling cod swam about as well as some large Tog. Here and there were some seabass. Arriving at what I believe was the bow, there were several places where rope was a tell tale sign of previous dives. The section was full of large holes deep into the structure exposing the decks below. I caught a glimpse of a very large Tog gliding slowly away from me around the hull. Sorry, no weapon in hand.

On the way back to the line, I was escorted by a large Monkfish which happened to be swimming in the same direction. Unlike most fish, he seemed to be oblivious to my light. While unclipping the reel there was another very large Tog gliding about the top of the stern. There were a few minutes of planned bottom time left, so I stalked him as he passed in and out of the wreck. Back on the line, the current had died down a bit, making the hang more comfortable. I could see lobsters and scallops in the catch bags above me. Alas, mine was empty. Again I boarded the boat to see divers loading the cooler with more lobster. The final count I heard was 30. While other divers had quite a few, but I think the Bill Trent, of Adventure Scuba fame, had the most big bugs + scallops.

Paul Wittaker was already in the water to take a few pictures and then pull the “hook”. We were quickly underway. Before long, everyone had found a spot to take a quick nap on the hour + trip to the marina. The skies were still clear as we unloaded our gear and headed home thinking “What a great day”!

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply